Sunday, August 13, 2006

Work Hard to Become Known

Well, this past week has been very busy for me. In one week I took on three new responsibilities to upgrade my credentials. I am now a book reviewer for a large writing group, became a student services assistant at a local community college, and signed on to be a Detroit reporter for a new worldwide Internet newspaper. Whew! If that isn’t working hard for a living, I don’t know what is.

I bring this out to inform other writers out there that you can’t just write a book or an article or two to make your name known. In my new book, The Write Life, there is a section where I discuss networking and connecting with others who may give you leads and hook you up with ways to promote and sell what you have in the way of services and products. This means that you may find yourself not only writing but, joining the ranks of teachers, advisers, counselors, and a host of other professions to become branded. What does it mean to be branded? It is the way for others to identify you and your products or services.

Since I am a writer, I want to establish myself as the writer that not only writes but, supplies information to other writers. I wish to inform, teach, and provide for others who want to grow in the field. It doesn’t matter if you wish to be a journalist, author, publisher, or magazine editor, information is necessary to attain your goal. I plan to be the one source that can direct you to the right path(s). I do it because I love to share and what better way is there to do so then writing, reading, advising, and teaching.

With all that said, you can see I am now going to be one busy bee. No, I will not be spreading myself too thin. What I am actually allowed to do is manage the work on my terms. Which by the way is another section in my book The Write Life, managing your time and money.

So ask yourself when was the last time you connected with others who may be able to lead you down the right path to success? When was the last time you tested your skills and tried a new way of branding your name? Has it been a while? Well, get up and get out there. Try connecting with different ways to sell what you have to offer. Did I mention the section on being your own sales department in The Write Life? Visit my web site at Scribal Press. Don’t forget to sign my guest book. Who knows, you just might pick up a tip or two.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home