Monday, July 10, 2006

Writing Time

No, you didn’t hear from me last week. It was a holiday. So I took the time off. I find myself thinking, that as a writer, I should never stop writing. I should have something to say every day. Believe it or not, I don’t. The reason being, I’m only human.

I don’t care that writers you know tell you they must write every day; they’re lying. How do I know? I’m a writer too. Because of that I know from personal experience, they could not possibly write each and every day. They have other responsibilities and obligations like me.

First of all, most writers do more than just write. They are speakers, teachers, and tutors on the business side. And on the personal front, they are mothers, fathers, wives, husbands, activists, and a host of other types. This means they do other things besides write. In doing so, there is no way a 24-hour day can always allow for writing.

Since their lives consist of taking care of business responsibilities and personal obligations, writing sometimes has to be put on the back burner. One can’t write while speaking at a conference and networking or correcting student papers. You can’t write if you’re helping someone else with their writing.

As a parent of young children, which I once was, you will find yourself transporting and attending their activities they participate in. Let’s not leave out laundry, cooking, reading, counseling, punishing, guiding, and giving them your undivided attention as needed.

I don’t want to leave out the spouse. If said, a spouse has goals of their own, are you not the support for your spouse? Which means assisting them in whatever way you can and must, to help your spouse succeed. All of this says time management is of the utmost importance. But let’s get real here. No way, no how, can you include everything you want to do in each and every day.

One thing a writer can do every day is take notes. Although you don’t always have time to write the eloquent prose running through your head, you can jot down your inspirations. So when time does provide room for you to write, nothing is forgotten or forsaken after dealing with real life circumstances. Keeping your thoughts as notes also allow you to actually take time off, to enjoy life when the holidays come. So that’s what I did. I watched the fireworks last week, as I took notes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home