Tuesday, August 23, 2005

School Days

It is that time again, time to get the kids ready for an additional dose of education. Guess what? I have to get ready for school too. For some reason last Fall I felt I was in the need for more brain input. Blame it on my unsatiable desire to know or on what I saw as a need, either way, I think I will be going to school forever.

When I was a youngster, I always said if there was ever a profession of a professional student, I would be that. I can’t even fathom why children of today don’t like school. Going to school has always been one of my most happy moments in life. I love learning something new, challenging thoughts that I am taught, and wondering if I can create. Why don’t the children of today see what I see in acquiring an education?

That is the sad part of society today. Most Black kids have no wish to complete an education. The reasons are varied but, they are incomplete reasons. What I mean by that is, no money, no clothes, no transportation, no glasses, no help is just a sample of excuses, not reasons. I seem to remember slavery. You know when Blacks would be killed or severely punished for getting an education? It didn’t stop them though. They suffered whatever it took to open a book and learn to read, write and do arithmetic. I know the Lord blessed them for trying.

Whose fault is it? Who cares? It’s already a done deal. Let’s just fix the problem. We need to find a way to inspire the children of today. Give them justifiable reasons to pursue an education, not avoid one. We all know what happens when they don’t. They end up in prison for thefts and robberies, selling or on drugs, becoming abusers, and lacking any self esteem to create instead of destroying. Hello, what will it take before we realize, they need guidance, guidance that will lead them toward productivity, contributing to society, and not wrecking havoc.

My love for an education most likely stems from my parents. They came from the south, where an education was the open door to a prosperous life. If you knew what you were doing, you would succeed at what you were doing. In other words, learn a trade, master a skill, enhance a gift, then build upon that, and you could never fail. You would also never be held back from anything your heart desired. All of it is possible through an education.

Turns out, it was all true. I got my education. It took a while, but I got the paper. I now know if I want it, I can have it. What is it? It is a career, a career in writing. So that is what I do. I write for a living. I also, teach and speak. I share my knowledge with others about writing. That is why I went back to school, again. This time I went back for the kids. I want to do my part. The part, that is, part an inspiration and part requirement. I want the kids to develop the same desire I have for learning. I know how to teach and I think I do it pretty well. But for my own satisfaction, I want the credentials that say the same. Who knows, maybe one day I will be your kid’s instructor.

In the mean time, I will continue to write. I will never quit going to school. I know this because there is still this nagging little thing in me that whispers, law school. Don’t ask me why. I have always had an interest in law. It just takes more time than I have right now. Trust me. I will find the time one day. Until that time, I will keep looking for ways to help the kids understand the importance of an education. What are you going to do?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home