Sunday, March 05, 2006

A Few Thoughts

You didn’t see me last week because I was just too busy to do the blog thing. Again, I don’t have a clue as to how others find so much time that they can blog, day after day, hour after hour and still have a productive life. Anyway, this week I have a few things that I want to comment on.

Sudoku Puzzles

Think Sudoku puzzles. Guess what? I am hooked. I have always been a crossword puzzle person but the Sudoku puzzles I have allowed to possess me to no end. I don’t know if it’s the fact that it deals with numbers, on if it is the simple logic involved to solve them. No matter what, I work them wherever I see one. I did notice that completing them seem to relax me. Maybe it’s because I become so engrossed with making sure that all nine numbers in each box are in harmony with the other boxes. Some people would probably say that it is too much work on the brain but I love it. So much so that I went out and bought a book of Sudoku puzzles. There were more than 100 in one book. I spent one whole week solving those puzzles. They went from easy to very difficult. Percentage wise, I successfully completed maybe 25% of them all. The funny part is, that percentage was accomplished in the difficult section. Anyway, if you don’t see an updated blog from me each week, write it off to I will most likely be too busy doing a Sudoku puzzle to visit the blog.

Faith

The other thing on my mind this week has to do with violence. I told you before that I lived in Detroit. Last week, a woman was killed in a church here. When I heard that on the news, I almost had a heart attack of my own. What has become of this world, is all I could think? First the battles carried out in the Gaza strip between the Jews and the Palestinians. Then came the cartoons that spurned riots in countries with deep convictions in the Islamic faith. Now we have a killing in a church of people who believe in the Baptist faith. What will be next? I bombing of Catholic churches,? Lutheran lynching? Mormon hanging? How about those who practice Hinduism? What will become of them? Let’s not leave out those who believe in Confucianism, Buddhism or the Methodists. I am worry. If we all believe in one that is more powerful than ourselves, don’t we believe in his teachings? I know for a fact that he does not, never has nor ever will say it is all right to kill others. The magic word that is taunted by the almighty in all religions is LOVE. I will never understand why no one else can see that violence begets nothing more than, more violence. No, I am not holier than thou but, I do know right from wrong. According to my good book, adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, sedition, heresies, envy, murders, drunkenness, and reveling are not right any holy books of any faith. Need I say any more?

Affirmative Action

As an African American, I am very worry about privileges and rights being taken away that were so hard fought for. In November of this year, Michigan residents and other citizens in the United States will have to decide if affirmative action is still needed. Many say no, others say yes. I say yes and I will tell you why. Lord, knows I wish that we did not still need affirmative action but, as long as there are still prejudice and discrimination, affirmative action will still be needed. It was originally set up to guarantee equal opportunity for everyone, an opportunity to an education, housing, jobs, and the pursuit of happiness. Yet, in this country many still cannot live where they want, go to school where they want or get the job that they want. Why? It is still a country of who’s, who and money talks. It is because of that we must not let affirmative action laws fall by the wayside. Imagine, if we are still fighting over something so simple as religious beliefs, do you really believe that we don’t need watch dogs to keep the lines of communication open? It doesn’t matter what the numbers show, the reality is prejudice and discrimination still exists. Because of that, we cannot let go of the only alternative we have. If we lose it, so many before us will have died in vain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home