Monday, January 30, 2006

Super Bowl XL

For those of you who have visited my blog before, you know that I live in Detroit. For those who haven’t, you are learning that fact now. Detroit has been gearing up for the Super Bowl XL. What you don’t know is that I am not a football fan. Not now, never have been nor ever will be. But that’s ok. I realize the multitudes of football fanatics have to be allowed to have their time in the spotlights.

Two things bother me. One, when the Super bowl is over, what will the city officials do to keep the spirits high in the city? The second one is, what about those of us who hate football? What are we to do for the next week when everything is Super Bowl this and Super Bowl that? Where is my entertainment?

I know the city has what they call the “Winter Blast.” I don’t like winter. I feel about winter what I think of football, not! They go hand in hand with me, too physical, too cold, and too boring. So now what? Am I to spend the next week listening to and watching one media hullabaloo after another about the Super Bowl? I mean it’s everywhere, on buildings, in newspapers and magazines, on TV news, and every billboard across town.

I used to go and stay weekends in hotels to “get away from it all.” They are all booked now for football tourists, no room for regular patrons. I hope the owners remember the Super Bowl celebration is over in a week. When the tourists are all gone, don’t come calling on me to “come on back and see us now.” It’s not that I don’t want Detroit to not have an opportunity to show we have and can do more than make and drive cars. I just want more to do this upcoming week than go to the Super Bowl and everything connected to it. I like to be entertained too, you know.

I would give just about anything to have an extravaganza going on for people like me. Something like, an award show or maybe a TV show being filmed here. How about The View taping for one week in Detroit? I can visualize the media swarming down on Detroit for an event like that.

Anyway, with no choice in the matter, my only recourse is to shut everything down, lock it up, and go to bed. I’ll have to become sleeping beauty for a week. I only hope some prince will come and wake me when it’s over, with a kiss.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Eli Graham said...

Grateful forr sharing this

4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home