Sunday, November 20, 2005

To Blog or not to Blog?

I suddenly find myself wondering what made me start this blogging thing. Was it having more exposure? How about spiting out my thoughts as if it was a weekly column that I got paid for. The answer is, I just don't know. I can tell you this. It isn't all they say it is. They being just about everybody from Larry King to the man down the street who runs the community organization. I find myself starting to hum that old refrain, I, can't, get no, satisfaction. In other words, it's not working for me.

It has really become a nuisance. I only pledged to write once a week and I am having serious trouble doing it once every other week. For one thing, I'm not feeling it. Don't get me wrong, this may be working for other people but, unless I know someone is reading it, it really serves no purpose for me. Isn't that why writers write? To be read and commented on is the reason for the writing. Well, no one is reading me apparently because no one is responding to my words.

I know this because I once had a column in a weekly here in my hometown. And good or bad, agree or disagree, I got responses. People e-mailed me, called me and bought printed material from me. Hence, they responded to my weekly words of wisdom or bias. This gave me the spirit to write a column once a week and sometimes more than that. I would have columns ready to go well in advance of the deadline for the weekly. Why? I knew people were waiting to read my thoughts on just about everything. It didn't matter if I was talking politics, religion, race, school, communities, restaurants, movies, gas prices, blackouts, robberies, or even the holidays, they read my words and commented on them. I didn't care if they loved what they read or hated it. I just felt inspired to write them because they were read.

That's what's missing in this blogging thing with me. I don't know if my words are read or simply ignored. Either way if I don't start getting some comments on them, good or bad, I will most likely stop doing a blog. I know I'm out there because I went out to google.com and found my name splattered all over the darn web site. So it's not that people can't find me. So one last time I ask you, ARE YOU READING MY BLOG? Then let me know please.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hei, don't be so sad. it's probably not the best comfort (is this even the right word for it?), but most of the blogs, that exist, don't get any comments. even worse, not all people know how to prevent spam-comments wich are advertising some stupid homepage's or something. maybe you should let your friends know, that you are blogging, they could say something. or - as you say you were writing for a newspaper - make a little advertisment in it, so people who used to read you column could read your blog (just a crazy little idea). with best wishes, someone who just happend by.

2:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home