Monday, March 20, 2006

Fed Up

Today is the day I have decided I am fed up. Fed up with the war in Iraq, the economy in Michigan, politicians, multiple killings and kidnapings across the country, celebrity trash, bad weather all around, riots, and what we all call the news. Is there no good news to report anymore? I am more than fed up. I am tired of being tired.

You could call me a news junkie. Since I am a freelance writer, I spend a lot of my time alone. Alone doing what I do for a living, which is generating and looking for writing assignments. Because of this, my only contact with the outside world while I am at home working is the news. Imagine this, I don’t have cable so the news I get is from the major TV stations we all have access to for free, NBC, ABC, CBS, UPN, and WB. Hello, if this is all I see and it is mostly bad news, think about how I would feel if I did have cable news too. Lord please help me.

Each day as I watch the news, looking at stories from different angles to possibly write about, all I get is sad, disgusting news. Yes, it is important to know what is happening around the country and the world but, does the news media ever look for the good stuff as well as the bad? It doesn’t look like it to me. Even the newspapers I get don’t show much on the positive side of things. They just rehash what you see on TV, supposedly, in more details. Enough already! Give me a break. Yes I said it, give me a break.

With so much going on in this world, nobody can make me believe that there is no good news out there somewhere. Could it be because of people like us who tune into the negatives and spend so much time absorbing it? I am most likely part of the guilty crowd. Maybe if we stop looking and watching all of the bad stuff and generate massive low ratings, the stations would take another look at their agendas. Maybe they would see a need to spread more, good news. Maybe, just maybe, we would get more of a balance picture of what is happening around the globe.

I don’t know about you but I am a tad upset with what is thrown in my face, day after day. I would love to be able to do more than just shake my head from side to side saying, my oh my, what is this world coming to. It would not bother me a bit to sit watching the news one day and smile as I think, there is still hope. How about you?

Let’s try this idea? One day we all join together and not watch one bit of news for 24 hours. Instead we go out into our neighborhoods and see what we can find that is positive. We look for the good stuff. Then the next day we send the information to the stations and say, “now report this.” Can you imagine what might happen afterwards? People might just become more friendly. They may start saying hello as they pass you on the street. They might start holding backyard fence discussions again. They might start being the eyes and ears of the community again, eliminating killings and kidnapings. They might discover some hometown heroes. Jobs might be created because Mr. Smith needs work done which Mr. Jones can do. See where I am going with this?

All it takes is for all of us to get back in touch, in touch with our immediate surroundings. Then we might be able to generate good news instead of bad. That way, the media would have to report on it. It would be too much not to. Just a thought.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home