Saturday, September 27, 2008

Presidential Debate; Give Me A Break

This independent voter saw a war going on, on stage. McCain was on the attack while Obama was too elusive. McCain got emotional and Obama was a straight arrow. Did it matter to me? You bet it did. What I saw in the debate was a personal battle between the two. Obama was on the defense protecting himself against McCain’s offense.

What I wanted to know was how each would establish dialogue with foreign countries. How would they end the war in Iraq? What exactly would they do about Afghanistan? What I got was McCain with an attitude. The rest of the world be dammed, because he didn’t trust a single leader in a single country. While on the other hand, Obama wanted to extend a hand but was not specific enough on how.

Another thing that pissed me off was, McCain repeatedly saying “Obama doesn’t understand.” Did he think everyone that was listening and watching was deaf and dumb? I heard you McCain. And by the way, that’s your opinion and not mine. This was supposed to be a debate (to discuss or argue points formally) not a personal war. But I guess since McCain didn’t go to college, he didn’t have any experience in debating. If I wanted to get ugly, Obama did go to law school which is where one actually learns how to debate an issue.

But let’s get back to the debate. Obama did give a few specifics (on middle class). McCain kept harping on his military experience. Well, his military experience does not apply to saving my behind economically. It will not reemploy all those who have lost their jobs. It won’t put a roof over the heads of those who have no place to call home. So McCain knows how to fight a war, but he doesn’t seem to “understand” the war is not the first concern of the homeless, jobless and the hungry.

I hope the next debate provides more insightful information on how the candidates are going to fix the “hell hole” this country is in. Tell me, how and when, this country stops rescuing the rest of the world as we die slowly, economically and emotionally. I want a real debate, not another neighborhood fight.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Sarah Jordan said...

I know this is a slightly older blog, but I just had to leave a comment about it. I thought the entire ignorance from the debate on McCain was both entertaining and extremely irritating. It was funny how he honestly thought attacking everything Obama had said and trying to belittle him would help him win when he wasn't coming even the SLIGHTEST bit close to even acknowledging the questions he was being asked. But then again is was frustrating to see Obama having to waste his time defending himself to be able to actually get to the issues, which it was obvious he was trying to.

Oh, and by the way, I am one of Dr. Martin's students that you came to Tinkham to talk to today. I was looking through some of the sites you mentioned that I was able remember, including eHow, and I remembered this one. I figured it would be nice to take a look at what kinds of things you write about other than the book you gave us all today. It was honestly nice to see some things about politics written in here for some reason.
But anyways, once again thank you for your visit and the books.

2:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home