Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Freedom of Speech Can Cause Damage

Since the shooting of the congress woman from Arizona, people are debating whether it was caused by words spoken or actions not taken. Yes, I am for freedom of speech, but we must learn how to say the right words at the right time.

It seems that guy who did the shooting was up in arms about things the congress woman said and did. Although it looks as if he also might have had mental issues too, sometimes words are misunderstood.

For example, let’s say someone cussed you out on the street. What would you most likely do? The odds are you would begin to pick a fight. It seems to be human nature here in America. What would be the best way to deal with this to me would be to ask a simple question first. Like, did I do something to offend you? I think that would throw the person off. Why? Because that individual would want you to pick a fight.

I remember while I was growing up, I would here the phrase; a little kindness goes a long way. And I know it works. Once when I was in a shopping mall, a lady was irate about a purchase and she went off on a clerk behind the counter. Anyway, when I asked her what was she mad about. She told me she had been treated badly by a salesclerk. Well, I told her don’t do the same thing. Act like a lady of stature. And when she did, the manager proceeded to assist her with the utmost care. When her problem was over, she came back to me and said thank you.

Now back to what I said at the beginning. It not what you say, it’s when you say it and how you say it. Freedom of speech is a blessing we here in the United State have. We are not to misuse it, but appreciate it. Not everyone in the world has the choices we have. That’s what freedom of speech is all about. Not an excuse to berate, kill, or maim another that doesn’t agree with you. I would love to hear you comments on this.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home