Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Do You Really Understand What Being Friends on Social Networks Are?

I am hearing more and more about connecting through networking. But I don’t think many really understand what networking is exactly. Yes, you need to make new friends. Yes, you need to work with new groups. Yes, you need to join some associations. And last, yes, you need to connect and network.

But here is my beef with this whole connect and network thing. It does not mean to connect on LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook just because you heard of someone and think you should follow them on either of those web sights. Why, that is not real connecting/networking. Lately, I have gotten so many invites from LinkedIn and Twitter, I am about to discontinue my association with both sites.

People, being my friend is not just linking with me. Being my friend is helping me get work, supporting my workshops on your web sites or in your newsletters. And how about, when you need a speaker, did you think of me? All my real friends on LinkedIn and Twitter know that the minute I know they have something going on such as, online conferences, upcoming workshops, etc. I post it in the Scribal News Calendar. And I know they post my information in their newsletters, on their blogs, on their web sites, etc.

So if you want me to be your friend, connect and network on any of the aforementioned sites. Support my career and I will support yours. But until then, we can not connect and be friends and don’t invite me to be one.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Sylvia Hubbard said...

great words of advice.

Sharing this on my twitter for others!

2:24 PM  
Anonymous Megan said...

Totally agree.. Quality vs. Quantity.

11:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home